If you’re out of one of the many great products made by Absorbine, don’y buy more until you print out this coupon! If you can, try to time buying one of these products while they’re onsale to get even more off!
Horses are expensive no matter what but once you start down the path of supplements it can get outrageous. Not only does it get expensive, it gets confusing too. With the number of supplements out therefore one ailment alone it can seem overwhelming. Sometimes, for the sake of your pony, you have face the huge selection and make some choices. How to do it on a budget? That makes it even more of a task!
Here’s a couple of recommendations and tips to get you started:
- Ask around, find out what your trainer, friends and your other horse show companions recommend
- Ask your vet but don’t necessarily buy it from them. Even if it’s a prescription, vets can sometimes double the price of a product. Ask for a recommendation and if it is for a prescript (even for Bute and Banamine) ask if they will fax the prescription to a vet supply. It can save you up to 50%!
- Read online reviews, lots of them!
- Compare ingredients, there are many big name supplements that contain almost the exact same ingredients and measurements as more generic brands. Buying generic or store brand can save a lot!
- Trials, some companies offer trial items on things like joint supplements and hoof conditioners…use those to find which works best for you
- Buy in a larger bulk and store well when you find a product you really like. Buying in larger quantities can cost more initially but over the long run can save you a lot in shipping and general cost.
So, how have put these recommendations to use? Mostly through research and vet consultation. I already have Milo on a Majesty Flex Wafers which are great for his joints but not super heavy-duty (which he doesn’t need). This fall he will be going on two more supplements one for digestion and colic and the other for Cushings (which the vet and I have discussed he is showing beginning stages of).
Initially, I considered SmartPak for his 3 supplements as that is where I did a lot of my research, but to keep him on Majesty Flex and add Vitex Plus and U-Gard it would cost me $135.00 ever 28 days. That’s a price I just can’t afford. So, I did some looking around and came up with a solution that will cost me about half per month.
Milo will stay on his Flex Wafers bought from their regular source, and will add Balance EQ in place of Vitex Plus and Ration Plus in place of U-Gard. He will be getting the same supplement value at half the price! That’s something I can live with!
It’s getting warmer, I think. That means the bugs are going to start coming out! yuck! Many people have their own preference for fly sprays but most I know use, Pyranha. I love it. It works and to be honest…I love the smell. It reminds me of summer days spent in the barn or at a show. I’ve been doing some checking around to find any offers on it and who has the best price. Once again, I’m turning to Valley Vet! They have the best price at $10.79 for the aerosol. There is a handling fee but compared to other places it is still cheaper! Plus they get cheaper the more you buy!
I will be checking around at some chain tack/farm places soon to see who has the best price without having to pay shipping!
Pyranha Aerosol Insecticide Pyranha, Inc (Equine – Fly Control – Fly Sprays, Wipes Conditioners).
For 2010, I decided I wanted to be extra organized. At the beginning of January, I set out to find the best deal on wormers. I had planned to set my own schedule and buy a variety to rotate throughout the year. If you aren’t careful wormer can get expensive and it’s easy to forget which wormer to give next. I was so excited when I stumbled on Valley Vet’s simple solution. They offer 3 different wormer packs! These packs come with 6 wormers and a suggested worming schedule. Choose from these packs:
I purchased 3 of the standard packs for my horses. I was so excited they when arrived! Each pack comes in their own plastic bag. It has already made it so much easier to keep a worming schedule. I saved money and don’t have to worry about buying wormer for the rest of the year!