In my searches for money-saving tips, good deals, and random, cool things I’ve noticed something about what’s offered for equestrians my age (24!). There aren’t a lot of magazines or websites directed to my age bracket. Magazine wise, one of the most popular horse publications Horse & Rider, has a reader base of 76 percent are aged 40 or older. One of the other most popular magazines Young Rider, is aimed at a much younger reader base. So, what are 20 somethings reading? Personally, I’m a dedicated reader of Paint Horse Journal and Equine Chronicle. The problem with both these publications is that they are primarily ads though they have some great articles and Equine Chronicle can be viewed online for free (actually their whole website is one of my absolute favorites)!
As far as websites go, looking up college oriented or 20-30 age bracket websites usually only brings up schools, how to bring your horse to school, and sometimes collegiate team info. I want more! A magazine/website aimed at my age group would cover these things
- Financial advice, about boarding in school, affording a horse after just getting married & starting a fam, while looking for a career starting job
- Fashion, for horse girls on a budget inside the show pen, out at the barn, and other horse-y events
- IHSA (intercollegiate Hose Show Association) news from around the country and Collegiate 4-H (who knew!?)
- Training tips (of course!) but ones aimed at people who have to ride between studying and work!
- Anything DIY from making show clothes to repairing and sprucing up tack
- Some serious reporting on where to find and get the best products
- And why not a section on issues important to our age group, whatever they may be at the time…like looking into getting judges cards, starting a business, association rules
That’s what I’m looking to read anyway. What are you looking for in a magazine or do you know of a publication or website that has a lot of these things? Would you want to read something like this?